Process Writing is: a 200-300 word account IN PARAGRAPHS of writing an assigned essay. It should be headed Process Writing, to be sure it is not read as part of the assigned essay or exercise. This informal "accounting" can be like a letter to yourself (or the instructor) about the process of producing the writing assignment. Include things like:
PLEASE USE SENTENCE/PARAGRAPH FORM FOR PROCESS WRITING, NOT JUST A LIST:
- how you generated and focused the writing,
- how you changed parts of it, the title, ending, etc., general rewriting (or maybe deciding NOT to rewrite), and why,
- things you are pleased with (and why) about the essay,
- what time of day works best for you to write,
- how the assigned reading or discussion may have influenced your writing,
- what may have gotten in the way (computer glitches, everyday life, time management, teacher foul-ups... are all fair game in the Process Writing...), etc.
This is a sort of de-briefing to yourself (and me), or perhaps it would help to think of it as "the story of writing this essay." This "accounting" is really for the writer/student's benefit, so the useful elements of the process can be repeated and the less successful aspects can be avoided in other projects.
© Copyright - Jane Thielsen ~ 2009-All rights reserved